Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14130 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
GavinLeigh
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
CEP2 Beta System Hangs

Hopefully posting here is okay. I've received a couple of CEP2 Beta Work units which after reaching around 30% to 40% hang my Windows PC. I don't get this with any other projects work units so I am wondering what's up.

Is anyone else suffering system hangs on these BETA work units?
----------------------------------------

[Sep 19, 2010 8:41:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JSYKES
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: CEP2 Beta System Hangs

Yes, I posted a message on 16th on another thread here about exactly that problem - a system hang - on restart I found that almost all the WU's had reset to 0% but had retained the elapsed times....not just the Betas but also another (I think HFCC) WU that was already well advanced (c90%) which went back to zero!

[Sep 19, 2010 8:48:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GavinLeigh
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I immediately thought it was a stress issue on the PC so ran memory tests and checked fans etc. Nothing helped there. I noticed that at the point the PC hung the PC produced a prolonged a single long tone from the soundcard. A little bit like a scream! Nothing in the event log. The first work unit ran to 43% before problems, the second work unit got to 38%. I don't know if there is a change in the type of calculation around those points?

Having checked the work unit it looks like the other users returned valid results, so this is probably PC related.

Work Unit:
BETA_E200367_974_A.24.C19H12N2S3.192.0.set1d06

For reference:
Shuttle K45 KPC
Intel 945 Chipset
C2D E4300
2 GB RAM
250Gb WD 7200rpm SATA Drive
Soundblaster XiFi XtremeMusic Card

[Sep 19, 2010 11:13:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Platoon
Advanced Cruncher
Russia
Project Badges:

I had a similar problem running CEP2.
At first problem appeared under Ubuntu. I've tried to resolve it by different approaches but nothing helped. So I just forgot about it.

Here you can find a thread I've opened:
https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,29302

After Windows CEP2 Beta was released the same problem appeared under Win 7 !!
I did some "experiments" and found that system runs ok then only one Beta running at a time (I have quad-core system), with two Betas system hangs after 2-3 hours, with 3 or 4 Betas system hangs after 15-30 mins.

I guessed that maybe there are some hidden memory problems/conflicts (strange - all memory tests shows no errors).
Luckily I've had another memory kit. After installation of new DIMMs problem disappeared!

FYI my config:
Intel q9550
asus P5E3 Premium
4Gb RAM OSZ DDR3 1600Mhz (old one)
new memory: 4Gb Corsair 1333Mhz

Maybe it could be useful.
" forever forge ahead and keep the dream in sight!"

[Sep 21, 2010 2:39:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JSYKES
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I think it is a bit more of a problem than that - I have been running up to 4 betas at a time and getting crashes running W7 64 on an OC i7 920 with 12Gb ram with constant stability when running any other WU's (except CEP obviously) concurrently. Add beta CEP into the mix and off it goes - but I had the system running for several hours before a crash, but when it came it was very messy. The beta crashes happened when there were other threads crunching other WU types (C4CW, HFCC etc) and these were variously damaged/reset to zero or some just restarted from where they last saved - which WU's reacted which way to the crash seemed somewhat arbitrary - not a good outlook for wider usage at the moment I would have thought?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by JSYKES at Sep 23, 2010 10:40:44 PM]
[Sep 23, 2010 10:40:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb077492
Advanced Cruncher

I noticed that at the point the PC hung the PC produced a prolonged a single long tone from the soundcard.

The BIOS will have produced the sound in response to an error. The encoding is BIOS dependent. Check out the docs for your BIOS, or try looking up "beep codes" via a search engine of your choice.
[Sep 23, 2010 11:15:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GavinLeigh
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thanks for the advice, but I know this isn't a BIOS beep. It's being emitted from an add in PCI Soundblaster Xtreme Music soundcard. It's slightly better than the average card, and I occassionally use this Win XP machine for music composition (requiring ASIO drivers).

Is it possible that a memory address gets touched by the client which is reserved for the soundcard? Or what about interrupts these days... are they important.

Anyway I aborted the BETA's giving the errors and am now back to crunching other projects on this machine. Consider the issue closed and I'll get back to crunching.

Thanks for all the comments.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by GavinLeigh at Nov 7, 2010 5:50:50 AM]
[Sep 26, 2010 10:56:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GavinLeigh
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Just an update on this. This one Shuttle K45 box has been steadily crunching work units for the past couple of months without issue, then I received another couple of the Windows CEP2 Beta work units this past week. The machine runs until about 41 percent and then it locks up hard. I can restart the machine and it might complete another couple of percent before hanging again. Once more I've had to abort these work units and let the machine get back to other projects (which have worked perfectly for over a year).

Strange Situation.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by GavinLeigh at Jan 8, 2011 6:11:55 PM]
[Nov 7, 2010 5:49:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

CEP2 has a huge amount of disk IO and can cause problems on some machines if too many WU's are run simultaneously. My i7 920/Ubuntu machine runs 8 simultaneous CEP2's with no problem at all other than a 4-5% loss in CPU efficiency. But my 980x/Win7 rig crashed hard during the last BETA test (in Sept) whenever I ran more than 4 CEP2's at a time. This time around, I moved the BOINC folders onto a spare 40GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD I had and I could crunch 12 WU's at a time with no problems at 99% CPU efficiency.

My wifes machine has the OS (Win7) on an SSD and 2 mechanical drives for storage and backup, one of which BOINC is installed on. I never pushed it to the max but it could run 5 or 6 CEP2's at a time without issue.

If you want to run this project and have a multi-core machine with more than 1 hard drive, my suggestion is to move your BOINC folders to a drive that does not contain your OS. Also, you must stagger the startup of the WU's. If you slam the system with 4,8,12, etc WU's at the same instant it will not like it and likely freeze.
[Nov 7, 2010 1:11:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I ran 2 wu at a time on my i7 960 while also running 6 hcmd2 wu's. no problems W7 64bit 12 gig mem..
I did not try to push more than 2 at a time.
My quad 9550 w7 64 bit did do 4 at a time with no problems.
All are valid with one of the total 21 wu still in pv..
[Nov 7, 2010 6:11:14 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread