Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3143 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
JoeZeff
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Constant SELinux errors from BOINC and WCG.

I've been running BOINC on a computer running Fedora Linux for several years now. Currently, it's Fedora 14, fully updated. As of this morning, I've been getting tons of SELinux errors from my current WCG unit, wcg_dsfl_6.19_i686-pc-linux-gnu. I've tried following the instructions in the troubleshooter for creating a new policy for them, but it Just Doesn't Work. For more details, here's a link to the bug report at Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/process_bug.cgi
[Sep 4, 2011 10:16:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:
Re: Constant SELinux errors from BOINC and WCG.

----------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Sep 5, 2011 11:15:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JoeZeff
Cruncher
Project Badges:

That seems to be the issue, and I've reported that to Bugzilla. (They're also looking into a fix from the SELunx side.) However, I'm still getting the alerts. How do I tell BOINC to abort the unit and download a new one?
[Sep 7, 2011 7:05:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I've been running BOINC on a computer running Fedora Linux for several years now. Currently, it's Fedora 14, fully updated. As of this morning, I've been getting tons of SELinux errors from my current WCG unit, wcg_dsfl_6.19_i686-pc-linux-gnu. I've tried following the instructions in the troubleshooter for creating a new policy for them, but it Just Doesn't Work. For more details, here's a link to the bug report at Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/process_bug.cgi

Hi JoeZeff,

Your link is only giving a log in screen, not the bug report. Can you provide a direct link, or paste a copy here, so we can get the gist.

From the errors, have any DSFL result been reported and if so, can you go to My Grid > Result Status and click on a Error link in the Status column to see what it says there. (please copy here).

SELinux [Security Enhanced Linux] was not known to me. Were you computing before at WCG with that machine? Did you try running CEP2 (Clean Energy) on this machine? Just curious, because DSFL and CEP2 are slightly different, having a control app and a worker app. Maybe other members can chip in who're familiar with the SELinux feature.

ttyl

--//--
[Sep 7, 2011 7:49:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JoeZeff
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Sorry, the proper url is https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=735648

I've been running BOINC for the WCG and Einstein@home on this same machine running Fedora Linux (with SELinux) for about four years now. The Einstein@home units give a little SELinux trouble, but correcting the issue once per unit is enough. I've not finished any DSFL units as yet, so I can't report on any errors. As far as CEP2 goes, I've not had any work units on it as yet, but it's selected.
[Sep 7, 2011 8:20:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

For reference, this seems to have been addressed in https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,31690

I was having the same trouble. I aborted the three DSFL units, and things have cleared up.
[Sep 8, 2011 4:36:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JoeZeff
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Yes. That's exactly the same thread you referenced earlier. How do I abort a unit if this comes up again?
[Sep 9, 2011 5:46:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'm afraid I continue to see SELinux denials of wcg_dsfl_6.19. From the log messages, it appears to be attempting to walk the /proc file system, which it should not be doing. It's OK (allowed and no error) to examine the tree beneath its own process ID, but it should stay out of the other process ID directories.

When I notice one of these misbehaving, I start the BOINC Manager, select Tasks, select the problematic job, then click Abort in the left hand panel.
[Sep 13, 2011 7:30:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

The errors continue. I normally participate in all projects, and let WCG choose which are important, but I want to opt out of this one, since it is still broken - it conitnues to try to walk the /proc tree which is a security violation, but might not be flagged in the absence of SELinux. Is there a simple way to opt out of this single project?
[Sep 19, 2011 1:25:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Yes, go to the My Grid > My Projects to (de)select any science you want / don't want. The selection in My Projects will apply to ALL device profiles until a device profile is revised directly. For a specific device, associate this to a specific profile (You can create home, work, school as locations in addition to default)

--//--
[Sep 19, 2011 4:09:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread