Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13579 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
NightBlade
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Aborted: run time limit exceeded

I just got a new PC (i7 with quad core and hyper-threading -- runs eight BOINC tasks at once). I noticed two of my GFAM tasks aborted:

Aborted: run time limit exceeded

Here are the properties. Is anything wrong with my machine? The other one aborted at 86.744% after 62 hours. (They have the same name except one is _0152_0 and the other is _0252_0.)

----------------------------------------

[Apr 29, 2013 6:07:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Aborted: run time limit exceeded

There's no telling until more than 2 copies fail with the "exceed runtime", but it's possible it's one of these occasional malformed tasks that do not resolve... go into a loop somehow. Usually activating checkpoint save logging will show if there are none or some, but given your screenshot shows none, I'd say stuck and ready to abort. Before that, restart client / boot computer and give the task 30 more minutes. If still no checkpoint give it the dust to dust treatment.
[Apr 29, 2013 6:37:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well, actually, there's nothing to restart as they were auto-aborted, but in case you see another one running long and not having 'normal' checkpoint intervals, it's time to restart task or client or computer, in that order.
[Apr 29, 2013 6:42:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

On an I7 there is virtually no way any of the vina tasks should take anywhere near 62 hours. As Sekerob did point out there is the possibility the unit got stuck somehow and just churned. As a point of information, about how long does your machine take to do similar GFAM tasks? Also, what OS are you using ?
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Apr 29, 2013 8:52:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NightBlade
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Okay, I'll keep an eye on them and see what happens.

@Sgt.Joe I'm running Windows 7. They take around 3-4 hours to complete (sometimes slightly under three).

[Apr 30, 2013 3:54:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NightBlade
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

I'm still getting this on the same machine. Checkpoints show decent times, but something with 54 hours shows "last checkpoint: 2h CPU time" and "currently, 2h 1m CPU time" (roughly).

Weird.

[Apr 30, 2013 2:42:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Suggest you run the installer again and choose "repair" to confirm that permissions are properly set. Nothing in the BOINC Manager event/message log? It's as if the checkpoint save is not saving. Also check your AV if nothing odd is being logged.
[Apr 30, 2013 3:31:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NightBlade
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

I've reinstalled. Nothing showed up in the Event Log (BOINC's or Windows'). I'm not sure what you mean by "AV."

I've also gone ahead and granted permission ("Full Control") to Everyone on the Boinc data directory. Oddly, some tasks prior to reinstall (GFAM) showed as 50+ hours, and now I don't see any under two hours elapsed.

Very odd. I will monitor and report back if this persists.

Thanks for your help :)

[Apr 30, 2013 8:24:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I've reinstalled. Nothing showed up in the Event Log (BOINC's or Windows'). I'm not sure what you mean by "AV."

I've also gone ahead and granted permission ("Full Control") to Everyone on the Boinc data directory. Oddly, some tasks prior to reinstall (GFAM) showed as 50+ hours, and now I don't see any under two hours elapsed.

Very odd. I will monitor and report back if this persists.

Thanks for your help :)

"AV" = Anti Virus
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Apr 30, 2013 9:10:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
NightBlade
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

This seems to be happening again on SNTS. I opened a new thread here (please don't reply to this one): https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/...35118_lastpage,yes#421493

[May 14, 2013 1:43:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread