Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3480 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
marm0t
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sad Project credit listed in account doesn't match BOINC credit or results page.

My project credit page reports 61905 worth of credit from my computers' work but the BOINC client reports that I have only 8936 in total credit. The BOINC number matches the results page as I copy pasted all my results from the results section of my account into a spread sheet and summed them after they were finally checked as valid and came up with 0.0045357255 credit per second on this Dell laptop.
The 61905 credit for the 1731322 seconds of work comes out to 0.0357559137 (which is approaching an order of magnitude of inaccuracy) per second but it's the BOINC client that matters, not what is listed in my account settings.

Why the discrepancy?
[Dec 2, 2015 3:32:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
noderaser
Senior Cruncher
United States
Project Badges:
Re: Project credit listed in account doesn't match BOINC credit or results page.

WCG's credit and BOINC cobblestones are not equivalent, you have to divide WCG credit by 7 to get BOINC cobblestones.
----------------------------------------
[Dec 2, 2015 3:47:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
marm0t
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Project credit listed in account doesn't match BOINC credit or results page.

I have to make my decisions on what project to run based on BOINC credit, not in house WCG credit, and that number is tremendously lower than competing CPU projects.

IJS.
[Dec 2, 2015 4:07:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

I have to make my decisions on what project to run based on BOINC credit, not in house WCG credit, and that number is tremendously lower than competing CPU projects.

Then let me recommend Bitcoin Utopia. A totally worthless effort, but you get maximum points. We however will continue seeking cures for cancer, aids, ebola, etc.

[Dec 2, 2015 6:37:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

Most people here choose for doing the science and care little about the points. Since everyone is in the same 'credit' boat, on WCG challenges it makes no difference if doing 1 point per hour or 100 points per hours,all are ranked the same.

Why WCG is still on BOINC credit times 7 I do not know. Not interested to know [it's a legacy from the decade ago days when there were two agents doling out points]. Really WCG if wanting to be in compliance with the Credit_new policy, better divides the points by 14 instead of 7 as the BOINC policy had a change that halved the value of BOINC credit i.e. you need 200 BOINC credit now instead of 100 per unit of time. devilish

(Or maybe the other way around, since the calculation is reverse polish, the client is better told to spit out double the BOINC credit and then multiply by 7 to compensate for the halving of BOINC credit value per unit of time... but as said nobody cares, ... half of those who know the real story have already transferred to the permanent hunting grounds... soon there's no one left to recount the lore)

good luck
[Dec 2, 2015 7:19:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
marm0t
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Then let me recommend Bitcoin Utopia. A totally worthless effort, but you get maximum points. We however will continue seeking cures for cancer, aids, ebola, etc.

That was a cheap shot.
The people doing utopia are earning funds for research to support these efforts.

Also, I didn't put all that effort into asteroid calculations for my benefit but the potential to eventually find minerals for technology in the belts so we don't have people in the Congo being used as pawns in proxy wars.

What could be the most mundane and worthless effort but to attempt to find the largest prime number ever found before? Now THAT is an almost worthless endeavor compared to mining coins worth $378 a piece that are then donated to research.

My choice of what to put my computers to research on is not decided by RAC, but another standard.

I'm irritated that WCG is trying to convince me that my computers put out more effort than was measured on the common BOINC scale. They clearly use BOINC standards in the work unit details I built my spreadsheet on, then those results were quickly deleted and the summary is reported in a different measurement without qualifying or distinction.

That's what is called bait and switch in sales terms.

Is this project going to freely donate it's cure for cancer, Ebola or AIDs to the world as we have given our computer time freely to IBM?
Certainly not.
They are going to seek profits and we are funding their profit making endeavors to the tune of $50 to $500 a month in electricity that our computers are using on their research.
If you have evidence that any of the projects BOINC users have donated their time to have resulted in medicines or solutions that are freely given away, then post it.

I'm going to still donate my computing time to scientific research and since I'm shelling out $100 to $200 a month from my pocket to do so, the least I can expect is a fair distribution of virtual points to competing projects...
[Edit 2 times, last edit by marm0t at Dec 2, 2015 10:56:26 AM]
[Dec 2, 2015 10:45:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
marm0t
Cruncher
Project Badges:

of BOINC credit value per unit of time...but as said nobody cares, ...

You are quite wrong about that. I know of a few hundred, at least, that do care about measuring the value of their computing power using a common measuring system and putting it where it's best needed.
Data analysis is quite useful in that regards.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by marm0t at Dec 2, 2015 10:55:22 AM]
[Dec 2, 2015 10:48:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petehardy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

When a fair system to measure contributions is available, I'm sure WCG will adopt it!

"Patience is a virtue", I can't wait to learn it!
[Dec 2, 2015 11:53:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KLiK
Master Cruncher
Croatia
Project Badges:

just watching...just watching & enjoying!
cool

anybody got some popcorn?!
biggrin
oldies:UDgrid.org & PS3 Life@home

non-profit org. Play4Life in Zagreb, Croatia
[Dec 2, 2015 12:31:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

of BOINC credit value per unit of time...but as said nobody cares, ...

You are quite wrong about that. I know of a few hundred, at least, that do care about measuring the value of their computing power using a common measuring system and putting it where it's best needed.
Data analysis is quite useful in that regards.

You like the smallest possible quote mining... A few hundred, on how many millions of BOINC crunchers on the globe? Pretty much the equivalent of nobody. If you though had been around these forums, the nobody interested more so applies to WCG, because really there is no 'body' of meaningful representation being able to upsell the case, as there is only a heavily broken system, more broken since Credit-New. The comment of petehardy much underscored.
[Dec 2, 2015 1:05:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread