Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11500 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
candymanbmf
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused How to change storage target (RESOLVED)

I would like to know if there's a way to change the partition/hard disk where WCG stores it's files. I don't have a lot of space on the OS partition (where it stores the files by default), but I have plenty on other HDDs or partitions, so I would like to "move" it there. biggrin

Is it possible? And how?

Thanks in advance!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ErikaT at Jan 11, 2011 1:56:46 PM]
[Jan 6, 2011 11:07:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Randzo
Senior Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:
Re: How to change storage target

Welcome to WCG and to the forums.
The easiest way on Windows is to just uninstall Boinc and install it on other HDD (select in during installation) with a lot of free space ;-)
the data are stored in program files\BOINC\data
Do you have any further questions with we can hepl you?
[Jan 6, 2011 12:38:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

This depends on the BOINC-version you're running, but if assumes you're running v6.6.xx or later, it would be:
1: Find-out your BOINC data-directory, the default location depends on which OS your're running (XP or Vista/win7). On client startup, the data-directory will show-up as one of the 1st. few lines, example:
06.01.2011 00:12:36 |  | Data directory: C:\ProgramData\BOINC

2: Exit BOINC & uninstall BOINC-client.
3: Copy the BOINC data-directory (including all sub-directories) to your new desired location. Note, on Vista and Win7, if default location, \ProgramData\ is a hidden directory so won't show-up if you don't enable to show hidden directories.
4: Re-install BOINC, and select the new data-directory-location as data directory.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Jan 6, 2011 1:47:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
candymanbmf
Cruncher

Hi guys! Thanks to both of you and especially to Ingleside for the very detailed steps. I followed them precisely on both my machines (one with WinXP and one Win7x64 and it worked like a charm! And in the process, I switched to the 64-bit Boinc app too.

It feels nice to see people can actually help other people with their issues. Thanks again and all the best!
[Jan 7, 2011 7:07:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:
biggrin Re: How to change storage target

Can any admin just edit the Title of this thread and add [Resolved], please? I've changed my nickname and now I am unable to do so myself.

Thanks! wink
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CandymanWCG at Jan 10, 2011 12:34:49 PM]
[Jan 10, 2011 12:33:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ErikaT
Former World Community Grid Admin
USA
Project Badges:

"RESOLVED" has been added to the post title.
[Jan 11, 2011 1:57:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:
applause Re: How to change storage target

Many thanks, Erika! love struck

Can you please do the same for this one link as well? praying

Happy crunching! smile
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CandymanWCG at Jan 12, 2011 10:19:46 AM]
[Jan 12, 2011 10:16:11 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread